Thursday, March 01, 2007

Yes, But Can A Class-Act Win?

Obama responds to McCain's description of US Military dead as 'wasted'

Obama, for his part, gave the Republican a pass when asked about McCain's comments at a Senate news conference on an unrelated matter.

"As somebody who had the same phrase in a speech, I think nobody would question Senator McCain's dedication to our veterans," said Obama, the Illinois Democrat. "We have a duty to make sure that we are honoring their sacrifice by giving them missions in which they can succeed ... I'm positive that was the intent in which he meant it. It was the same intent I had when I made my statement."

In February in Iowa, Obama said: "We ended up launching a war that should have never been authorized, and should have never been waged, and on which we've now spent $400 billion, and have seen over 3,000 lives of the bravest young Americans wasted."

Later, he told a reporter: "I was actually upset with myself when I said that, because I never use that term." "Their sacrifices are never wasted," he said.

No comments: