Thursday, May 18, 2006

Aiming Toward 12


I saw this this AM in the NY Times and wanted at least to give a shout out to one of my fave 'artistes'. I love Stephin Merritt and so want people to love him that I once sent The Magnetic Field's magnum opus 69 Love Songs out as Christmas presents, confusing the hell out of at least one true VanHalen fan in my circle. I do believe that if Cole Porter were alive today, and was my age or a little younger, this man's music is what he would be generating.

So imagine my joy when I find out that he's a lightening rod for the ugly confluence of Rock Snobbery and Political Correctness. Rock Snobs and Liberals (and of course I am Both) are refreshingly shamed in this article.

One Man's Musical Tastes as Fodder for a Flame War

People argue that the music someone listens to says a lot about who he is, but that discussion rarely concludes in descriptions like "cracker" and "racist."

..... Some bystanders could not help but be amused by all of the dancing on the head of a guitar pick in spite of the serious accusation at the core of the argument.


Count Me As One of Those Bystanders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»