Thursday, September 07, 2006

Christgau Fired!


The Village Voice (recently purchased by, however oxymoronic it may sound, an alternative press media corp) has fired one of, if not the, greatest influence on GT12's approach to writing and most importantly toward Music (our life blood). He is the best. If he doesn't like it, and you do, the reasons are clear and thought-provoking. We say this even though RC holds a ridiculous aversion to Little Steven's voice. His record guides are bibles.

RC Confirms the reports:

2006-09-05: Reports of My Dismissal Have Been Reasonably Accurate


On August 31, I was terminated by the new owners of The Village Voice along with four other senior editors, two gifted designers, and half of the two-person photo department. The mass layoff was characterized as a "restructuring," but I was fired "for taste." Because our union long ago anticipated the possibility of this kind of drastic overhaul, a contractually mandated severance arrangement will give me some time to get my economic future in order. But the specifics of that future probably won't be clear for a while.


The Voice changed a lot over the 37 years I wrote there and 32 years I was employed there. I haven't approved of all those changes, especially over the past decade. But for most of that time, with our unionization when Rupert Murdoch purchased the paper in 1977 a turning point, the Voice paid me to write well. My old bosses always understood that constructing a well-informed essay takes time, and that sorting, grading, and saying something honest and original about an incomprehensible plethora of records takes forever. I am grateful for the support my editors gave me, although I certainly believe I gave them surplus value back. But how my worklife is to proceed remains to be seen. I'll be letting you know in this space when I know myself.


Let me take this opportunity to say how very grateful I am, first simply for the interest all the visitors to this site have taken in my work, but especially for the labor volunteered by a few. Tom Hull's contribution is of course inestimable. The condolence notes Tom has forwarded to me have been much appreciated. I'll be OK. Like they say, it's too late to stop now. Or was that can't stop won't stop? Either way, both ways, I'll be in touch, and I'll be listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A black black day