Sunday, February 12, 2006

Is the Eleventh Commandment "Thou Shalt Be Obstinately Stupid"?

The LA Times has a great/hilarious/wildly disheartening feature on Creationism

To give you a flavor:

"Boys and girls," Ham said. If a teacher so much as mentions evolution, or the Big Bang, or an era when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, "you put your hand up and you say, 'Excuse me, were you there?' Can you remember that?"

The children roared their assent."Sometimes people will answer, 'No, but you weren't there either,' " Ham told them.

"Then you say, 'No, I wasn't, but I know someone who was, and I have his book about the history of the world.' "

He waved his Bible in the air.

"Who's the only one who's always been there?" Ham asked.

"God!" the boys and girls shouted.

"Who's the only one who knows everything?"

"God!"

"So who should you always trust, God or the scientists?"

The children answered with a thundering: "God!"

"We're going to arm you with Christian Patriot missiles,"

ohferchrissakes.

I just don't remember Jesus using weapons analogies, but, of course, I got trained in all that Vatican II 'God is love' stuff that our new Christian-American leaders have showed me was foolish and soft-minded.

And why aren't the great Catholic universities making noise about this?

Madrasas, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dontcha love it when life imitates The Onion?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27604

http://www.answersingenesis.org/museum/

Gotta hate reality! :p (BTW, hi Jeff!)

Jeff said...

My prayer has always been, Oh God, pleeeeeeeze don't let me become a cartoon.