Monday, April 09, 2007

"Democracy Is Messy"


I SPEND EVERY MORNING from 6-7 with Don Imus. I was driven away from CNN by Soledad O’Brien’s intolerable vacuousness and towrd the I-Man by a never ending parade of great guests goaded by the host’s irreverence into saying things that they shouldn’t say. Chris Matthews eluding the censors and calling the war in Iraq “Bullshit” and complaining about “Southern Presidents and their Fucking Ranches” redeemed Chris in my eyes and made my week. Such an id-driven high-wire act is bound to cross the line. And Don leaped over that line last week.

He can be a true asshole. The members of his crew that aren’t ball-less toadies are true and deep racist homophobic misogynists. But no worse than Howard Stern and a lot more interesting and mature. They are a billion times more entertaining than Al Franken on his best days at Air America. And when they spout off you know where they stand. You know what racism, sexism and homophobia drove their opinions and worldviews. The show is the only true ‘no-spin zone’.

Now, we will no-longer have that information. Producer Bernard McGuirck’s unreconstructed Irish Catholic Buchananistic disdain for all non-white, non-straight non-male will be papered over in insincere self-pitying political correctness. Until it erupts again, more vitriolic than ever thanks to this publicly ordained ‘cleansing’ of the show.

And I bet that Matthews won’t say ‘Fuck’ ever again on TV.

In meantime Don’s expression of this country’s racism will be pared with the showboating of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, reducing his offense to a tool for the diminishing Black Leaders to use to try to grab back the mantle of leader from the Barack the Civilized and the rising Harold Ford.

I’ll be honest here – I have only slightly more faith in the honesty and integrity of a position held by Jackson now and Sharpton always than I do for the Dauphin and his Trainer in DC. I trust none of them, even when they’re right.

If only he’d just called those women ‘scarey’. Of course, that’s not very colorful, is it?


And I want it known that I find the desire of anyone to stop me from hearing Imus, or Rush or Randi Rhodes being offensive bigoted clods far more offensive than any of the homophobic slurs I have listened to from Don and his boys. To those people I say Fuck You.

No comments: