Thursday, February 15, 2007

Now We'll Get Ours

Saint Bill Maher Returns this week. Now The Dems are in power, now the Dems are targets.

Let us reflect on Bill, and ourselves (See Andrew Sullivan, Christine Whitman and Harry Belafonte all laugh together too!):



In Salon bill Discusses John McCain, a man he once said he would consider voting for. Bill of course has come around.

[Salon] So his soul has been sold?

It's been sold. I gave him a lot of latitude, because I do think he's a bright guy, and I think he's got anger, which I think is a good thing. I know that's something you could throw in his face -- "How can you be president? You're angry." -- it's about time we had someone with anger. How can you not be angry, is my question.

Yeah, he's basically selling himself off in little pieces. That's exactly what George Bush's father did -- you sell a little piece here, a little piece there and a little piece there, and after a while, there's no pieces left.

I gave McCain a wide berth, because I give anyone who's sacrificed for our country the way he did a lot of latitude, because I think all things being equal, somebody who has made that kind of sacrifice deserves a lot of free passes. But there are limits, and he's passed them.

He's out of free passes. It also makes me think that he knows better than I do how ridiculous the surge is, how badly the war has been run and how unwinnable it is. What mystifies me is that he and his neocon friends at AEI were saying we need at least 40,000 troops to secure Baghdad, and then they settled for 20,000.

Even that wouldn't work. It's so over. The country is ethnically cleansing itself. It's already a partitioned country. What are we fighting for over there? Why are we fighting to keep Iraq together? Iraq has only been a country since what, 1932? That's seven years younger than Paul Newman. Why are these drawn-on-a-map borders worth one more American life? I have no clue. And I don't think he does, either.


It doesn't seem like it.

No, it's all about honor. It's that nonsense we heard in Vietnam. We've already lost our honor over there. We lost it at Abu Ghraib, and a lot of other places. The honorable thing to do would be to acknowledge our mistake and get out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even make it thru the whole show - his jokes were stale and lame - almost as dumb as the guests - hopefully he'll get back to the cruel Bill we all know and love