Thursday, January 03, 2008

Hope?

If they're all like this, it could make up for the AARP application that arrived in the mail today.

A Sullivan reader writes:

In case you were looking for the mood of any actual Iowans today...


I am a 31 year old single, professional female, and Iowa native living in Iowa City. I will be a first-time caucus goer tonight. I switched my affiliation from Republican to Democrat only a couple months ago. After many months of being drowned in candidates here in Iowa (I think we ceased having real commercials on TV about a week ago, its been nothing but back-to-back political ads for days), I fully expected to feel relief that this day was finally here. More because I knew tomorrow all the incessant phone calls would stop (Mitt Romney's campaign called once while I was listening to Obama speak) and life could get back to normal.


I was really surprised to find that when I woke up this morning and saw "Caucus" written on my calendar for today, I was actually excited. Excited to get to participate tonight. Excited when I came to work and found a decorated "O" cookie on my desk from a co-worker. Very excited to be among the very first in the nation to cast a vote for Barack Obama. The only other time I've ever been excited or optimistic about a candidate was for John McCain back in 1996, during his plaid shirt days, but even then I wasn't motivated enough to caucus.

No comments: