Monday, April 17, 2006

Well, That's It Then. Illinois, Model For America?


I have to admit a fair amount of ambivalence here. Ryan's death-penalty moratorium and generally socially-progressive stances during his term made him the best damn liberal democratic governor I've ever had....

But, being a Republican, he could only be saved so much....

From CNN

Ex-governor guilty of racketeering

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Former Gov. George Ryan, who drew international praise when he commuted the sentences of everyone on Illinois' death row, was convicted of racketeering and fraud Monday in a corruption scandal that ended his political career in 2003.

Ryan, 72, sat stone-faced as the verdict was read and afterward vowed to appeal.

"I believe this decision today is not in accordance with the kind of public service that I provided to the people of Illinois over 40 years, and needless to say I am disappointed in the outcome," Ryan said.

No comments: