Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Comfort Food


It's been a long hard tax season. Lately I've found a few things to keep me interested in life. And I'd rather push my impeccable musical opinions than my faultless political snoopings.

One gets through marathons like tax season by having some clear goals, Mine has been to drink Basil Hayden's at The Top Of The Tower in NYC, savoring a thirty story view of the Big Apple and reflecting on the magnificence and poetry of urban life.

Providing some great inspiration and hope before this trip is veteran never-quite-a-hit Willie Nile's "Streets of New York". A really great comfort food album. Nothing strikingly new, but A+ post-Dylan-post-Springsteen-post-Clash singer songwriter Rock. Melodies that are at once reassuring but peppered with surprising turns. The lyrics are often semi-surreal but with great rhyme and meter. And the whole effort sounds fresh and full of joy, even at it's darkest.

I really really like this album, and if you find yourself synching w/what I like about Bruce, Bob and Joe Strummer I am sure you will like this one too.

No comments: