Thursday, September 20, 2007

Good News For The In-Laws

Mr Dan has a cousin in San Diego. Cousin and Partner must feel good today (From Andrew Sullivan):

The Republican mayor of San Diego just reversed himself on marriage equality and agreed to sign a a City Council resolution supporting a challenge to California's gay marriage ban (also opposed by the state legislature). Moving video moment here. He'd previously vowed to veto it. He has a lesbian daughter, it turns out, and like many other parents of gay children, simply didn't believe it was a positive step to keep her segregated from her own family and community and stigmatized as inferior. Here's his full statement.


With me this afternoon is my wife, Rana. I am here this afternoon to announce that I will sign the resolution that the City Council passed yesterday directing the City Attorney to file a brief in support of gay marriage.My plan, as has been reported publicly, was to veto that resolution, so I feel like I owe all San Diegans an explanation for this change of heart. During the campaign two years ago, I announced that I did not support gay marriage and instead supported civil unions and domestic partnerships. I have personally wrestled with that position ever since.

My opinion on this issue has evolved significantly -- as I think have the opinions of millions of Americans from all walks of life.

No comments: