Monday, December 21, 2009

Dickens

"You are my home"

Last weekend's Show Tune-o-Rama introduced you (probably) to Alun Armstrong. I mentioned his participation in the Royal Shakespeare Company' s 9-hour long production of Nicholas Nickleby.

My VHS copy of Nicholas is one of only 4 works in my tape library that I have replaced with DVD format. At $150 a crack for each edition, I hope you get a feel for how valuable it is.

It is still the most magnificent theatrical experience I've come across ... and I never saw it live.

Here are two clips that let you see where Alun Armstrong first drew attention for playing awful people as well as giving you ten minutes of Dickens heaven, as wintery and spirited as "Christmas Carol."

You also see a young Roger Rees, later of "Cheers" and "The West Wing", playing the idealistic yet volatile title character. David Threlfall plays, achingly, "the drudge, Smike".

I can think of no greater gift for you all:





And - I can't help myself - a bit more that gives you a glimpse of some more stage-craft and the fabulous, fabulous Edward Petherbridge playing Newman Noggs.

You will thank me.

No comments: