Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Goal Is In Sight


Gay kids having real adolescences with real dating, real teenage heartbreak, real preparation for adulthood.

This is what it's all about.

Magazine Preview
Coming Out in Middle School

“When I first realized I was gay,” Austin interjected, “I just assumed I would hide it and be miserable for the rest of my life. But then I said, ‘O.K., wait, I don’t want to hide this and be miserable my whole life.’ ”


I asked him how old he was when he made that decision.


“Eleven,” he said.


Later in the article, the author listens to a gay 14-year-old argue with his mother about whether to "let his latest crush spend time in his room" alone:


As I listened to them bicker, I couldn’t help remembering what Ritch Savin-Williams, the professor of developmental psychology at Cornell, told me the first time we spoke: “This is the first generation of gay kids who have the great joy of being able to argue with their parents about dating, just like their straight peers do.”



No more need for "A Separate Peace"

No comments: