Friday, February 23, 2007

From Wyoming A Vision Of The Future

... And a real Profile in Current Courage (and by the way, where was JFK during the McCarthy era? We know where Brother Bobby was... working with Tailgunner Joe):

I echo Representative Childers concerns, that testifying against this bill may cost me my seat. I have two of my precinct committee persons behind me today who are in favor of this bill, as I stand here opposed, and I understand that I may very well lose my election. It cost 4 moderate Republican Senators in Kansas their election last year for standing up on this same issue. But I tell myself that there are some issues that are greater than me, and I believe this is one of them. And if standing up for equal rights costs me my seat so be it. I will let history be my judge, and I can go back to my constituents and say I stood up for basic rights. I will tell my children that when this debate went on, I stood up for basic rights for people.

- Dan Zwonitzer, GOP legislator in Wyoming arguing in favor of Gay Marriage Equality and equal rights for everyone.

This is better than 98% of Democrats.

Read the whole speech here.

No comments: